Tuesday 24 November 2015

Muddy in Minions

An early morning frost, the first of the year, left a thin white layer on the slopes of Caradon Hill which quite quickly melted away under a weak sun.

The Moor felt very spongy underfoot - I discovered that my trusty walking boots are no longer waterproof - and the track had plenty of muddy patches and puddles.
In order to find a firmer footing, I followed the granite setts of the former Caradon Mining Railway.


Looking out across the Minions to Upton Cross road to one of the many ruined engine houses and beyond to Dartmoor.








She was so intent on eating as much grass as possible, that I got close enough to almost touch her - but despite all the encouraging words and clicks from me, she wouldn't lift her head and smile for the camera. After I pocketed my camera, she stared across at me - she had a pretty dappled grey face. Huh!



12 comments:

  1. I think sheep do exactly as they please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one gobbling as fast as this stubborn ewe!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. It's grand to have you show me the glories to be found outdoors, far away from intense city pace, as November turns to December.

    Sorry about those leaky boots though. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the complete opposite to where you live, Frances - I hope you always enjoy coming with me on my walks. Yes, the boots have lasted a long time, but I'm sad to say they are no longer fit for purpose and will need replacing. Oh - Happy Thanksgiving! xx

      Delete
  3. Looks beautiful,
    what were the granite setts used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS beautiful and I'm so lucky to have it as my regular dog walk. The granite setts are the last visible remains of the tramway track that carried the wagons used for transporting granite, tin and copper that were being mined higher on Bodmin Moor, at Cheesewring Quarry and Goldiggings, down to Minions and on to Looe for shipping further afield. Granite from the Cheesewring Quarry was used for constructing Tower Bridge, London between 1886 and 1894.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful part of the county, I must get up there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year, in the nice weather, come and join me and Zac on a walk, with coffee or lunch afterwards in the village! The winter months are not the nicest to wander on the Moor, what with sideways rain, high winds, fog, etc.

      Delete
  5. The ewe was busy getting fattened up ready for the winter weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those granite setts! No tramways near me here, though I do sometimes go down to a site where they used to quarry quartz, quite near here. The views are lovely, but it is rocky and not good in wet weather. Nearby is a pine wood with the most enormous pinecones - in fact I must blog about them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We lived in Devon when my husband and I were first going out, walking most weekends in Dartmoor and your photos took me straight back! Especially the stone track, with it's worn centres, Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.