Sunday 3 September 2017

The Siblyback Lake Walk

Today it is wet, wet, wet - chucking it down with rain all last night and most of today and our walk up on Bodmin Moor this afternoon was in thick fog; it would have been very easy to get lost so Benji and I stuck to well-known routes.  He was THE most reluctant dog - he hates wet weather, wet grass and having to cross water so remained firmly behind me, at the very end of his extending lead.  I knew that if I unclipped his lead he would run straight back to the car!
However, it was a bright, sunny day last Friday when I decided on a walk around Siblyback Lake, our local reservoir. I had the idea that it was a 3.5 Km walk but later found it was 3.5 MILES - quite a step for my short-legged little friend and his rather unfit owner.


But the scenery was gorgeous - the lake covers 140 acres and is surrounded by pasture land: cattle and sheep grazed there; buzzards were mewing overhead as they glided between the stands of conifers and there was birdsong all around - including a small group of squabbling terns at the water's edge.


 Siblyback provides a variety of activities including wind-surfing, canoeing, kayaking, wake-boarding (where the wake-boarder is towed around a course by a rope hanging from motors on overhead cables) as well as cycling, walking and Segway riding.  Handily, there are seats dotted around the walking trail so it's possible to sit and watch everyone else enjoying their choice of activities. 


 There's also a camp site overlooking the lake complete with good showering facilities, etc. and a field for dog-exercise adjoining.



 I wonder if I could train Benji . . . ?  No, I think he's a bit small for that - and he keeps stopping to sniff!

As for the high ropes - I decided they weren't for me .. . .





















My one regret is that I had gone without my camera, so all the photos here are from online images of Siblyback Lake and Activity Centre. 
And there isn't a single photo of Benji on this walk, trotting along beside me and thoroughly enjoying himself.  Didn't he do well?

20 comments:

  1. That was quite a walk; well done, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. It's the longest I've done for quite a few years, since long before having my replacement knee last December.

      Delete
  2. Benji must be getting a lot fitter these days! Good to hear that you too are managing these long walks. Your surgery must feel like a very distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the surgery does seem an age ago, Mary and it's turned out really well. I'm sure Benji hasn't had a walk like that before but he enjoyed every bit - but even though it was a warm day he wouldn't go near the water for a drink, even when I cupped my hands and offered it to him. He was more than ready for his bowl of water back at the car. It's a joy to see him galloping along now.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely place. Those caravanners and campers have a great view. I bet Benji's looking like a slim-jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a slim-jim yet, but he is definitely less rotund than the dog who turned up in April with his belly a half inch from the ground! Much, much fitter and far more energetic.

      Delete
  4. Long ago we used to walk on Bodmin Moor, and I always felt that we needed a compass, as it is so easy to lose your way. Siblyback Lake looks fascinating, I so often saw the signs as we drove that way, but have never visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy to lose your bearings because on the brightest of days, the cloud can descend rapidly and visibility is suddenly reduced to zero! Siblyback is along a single track lane but it's worth the effort for all the beautiful scenery - and lots of activities for the more energetic.

      Delete
  5. What a great walk with what appears to be some wonderful views. I did smile at the great dog pulling the bike, what a wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made regular use of the seats around the lake's perimeter to admire the views (and regulate my breathing). I need a bigger dog than Benji to try the idea of a tow!

      Delete
  6. That was a good walk with lots to look at. Was that a GoPro on the bikers helmet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - they are becoming very popular now, aren't they because of them providing photographic evidence in case of accidents.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely facility for water sports, glad to hear plenty of seats for relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made good use of those seats! But also appreciated the variety of things to see and hear. A lovely afternoon out in the sunshine.

      Delete
  8. That was a very good walk ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we did it, though there were moments when I wondered why! I kept hoping I was halfway round . . .

      Delete
  9. That really does look a lovely spot, although a walk on the Moor in the fog sounds really spooky to me - I can just hear the thud of horses' hooves in the mist! Yikes. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has happened! But you're more likely to have a sheep suddenly appear out of the fog, then disappear again. It's more scary to suddenly come upon a group of cattle - do you continue or turn back, or just get lost?

      Delete
  10. Well don Benji (and you too!). When Daisy first came to us she was petrified of water (as in shrieking, screaming, wailing). Many times on walks it was ME going to a stream to fill up a fabric waterbowl so she could have a drink. It took about 18 months but eventually she trusted me enough to actually walk through a puddle, rather than do ANYTHING to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds much worse than Benji's aversion; at least he isn't vocal about it. He just hates the rain, hates having to walk on wet grass and will not cross water even if it's only a trickle. But we will persevere, because living on the edge of Bodmin Moor we get a heck of a lot of rain!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.