Wednesday 4 October 2017

Early Autumn in Cadsonbury Woods


We are not walking as much up on Bodmin Moor as previously, even though it's one of my favourite places to be, because Benji is using his newly-found energy in naughty ways - namely he has found a thrilling pastime of chasing sheep!  Bad Dog cannot be allowed off-lead any more so he can't enjoy a good old gallop.
Also, there are problems with some of the cattle up there who seem to have found a similar thrill in assaulting walkers and dogs. Never, in all the years I have walked on the Moor have I been scared of the cattle - but now I am.  When you see the regular dog-walkers, mostly men, carrying stout sticks and telling of incidents when they have been pushed around by the cattle, and of people who have found refuge in a thorn tree only to be surrounded by those cattle until rescued, it shows the seriousness of the danger.
So yesterday Benji and I went to Cadsonbury Woods; I was hoping for some autumnal colours, but I was too early.  Mostly the trees were still green, though strangely there were lots of orange/brown leaves on the ground!
This is 'New Bridge', though as you can see, it's anything but new; I guess it's always been known as New Bridge since it was built.  It's a busy road that crosses the River Lynher at this point but within a few yards, all is quiet and peaceful
 The path to the Hill Fort which climbs up through the woods - not to be tackled when we've had so much rain recently.

This aerial photo shows the Hill Fort on the summit of Cadsonbury Hill.

 It was much easier going along the narrow road that runs alongside the river.





Looking uphill to the Hill Fort


Lots of fallen leaves here.



 Benji wasn't impressed with the state of the path at this point and made a large detour to avoid getting his paws mucky.

 But the excess water did provide some pretty views.






 Oh-oh! A big, black rain cloud has appeared; time to make tracks for home.

 "C'mon!  Before the rain gets us!"
 This morning, the dew on this web caught my eye when I stepped out into the garden. Works of art, aren't they? 



12 comments:

  1. I'm always a bit wary of walking near cattle. We were once chased by some cattle at Chatsworth in Derbyshire. They took a dislike to our old labrador (on a lead). It was a bit scary! The scenery in your photos is lovely. Although I'm not a spider fan, their webs really are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting walk you had, and how lovely the trees look in your photos. As does your much slimmer companion!
    So far no sight of Kea plum jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fastidious puppy keeping his footsies clean for you. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of a beautiful area. I love seeing aerial photos of places I'm interested in, and with Google earth we can now do that. That tree is interesting with all the extra trunks (or limbs?) growing to one side, and your shots of the spider and its web are magnificent.

    It's too bad it's no longer safe to go to your usual walking area. A few years ago we had a couple of coyotes near and in our town, and I was nervous to walk at all, let alone after dark which was my preferred time in the summer. I still think of that when I'm walking in the evening!

    Benji is smart to avoid the mud :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dog always avoids the getting his paws wet too, he is reluctant to go out if it is wet. Beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear you’ve got ‘sheep interest’ and ‘interested cattle’. Neither are conducive to a relaxing dog walk.

    I don’t like walking in a field with cattle if I’m on my own, and with a dog it is an absolute no-no. Do take care, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't walk through a field containing cattle, either, but Bodmin Moor has cattle, ponies and sheep in all areas. There has never been any trouble in all the years I have been walking there, as all the breeds are chosen for their calm, docile temperament. It seems we have some 'rogue' ones up there at present; who knows how they might have been treated in the past? They might have good reasons for attacking people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photography! Nice puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a beautiful place to walk, definitely with wellies! It’s great when ancient places are called new, the bridge looks wonderful. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely series of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks such a nice place. Some great photos too. I really like the tree with the twisty roots by the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.